Friday 19 July 2013

Sneaky confessions

There are some things about myself, only just emerging, that I am not proud:

1) I use Leya as a gym prop. This is largely her own fault, though, as she still demands being rocked and rolled to sleep for at least half an hour every night. Her favourite position is tummy down, in my arms, like a baby leopard cradled in the crook of a tree. She is the ideal weight and length to provide some extra impetus for toning exercises - which is why I intersperse my soothing swishing with a set of squats and lunges, using her prone form as a counterweight. I think she quite enjoys it.

2) I have developed a fixation with baby foods. I think I am going to make the most excellent old person - my love of soft foods that can be eaten without teeth knows no bounds. While I don't personally think there is anything wrong with tucking into a delicious apricot, prune and cinnamon puree for lunch, I am aware that my habit of stealing the food out of Leya's mouth (literally) is perhaps less than admirable. 'One for you, one for me,' I tell her as I share out her deliciouses, keenly aware that she cannot complain that most is going into my mouth.

3) I have become a kleptomaniac. This really isn't my fault; it hasn't been intentional: it's just that I now use the bottom pouch of Leya's pram instead of a shopping trolley. Inevitably, an item or two that has been covered up by one of her blankets, socks or other discards escapes my intention and therefore the cashier. Bad for my conscience, great for the family shopping budget.

4) My paranoia over childhood diseases has led to bizarre behaviours. For instance, I often find myself licking bits of Leya's arms or face to test for saltiness, just to make sure she doesn't have cystic fibrosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment