Thursday 14 January 2016

Rude realisations

The other day I was looking through my wardrobe, and noticed it contains a lot of white. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I purchased these items, as wearing white implies a) that you are about to star in an ad for tampons; or b) that you are about to have a during which you are certain not to encounter chocolate ice cream, grass stains or tomato sauce - neither of which apply to me. Clearly, the unsuitability of white as a sartorial choice is something is a lesson that I have yet to fully internalise. However, there are other small things that I have heeded, and these I will share with you:

1. When you have a toddler, you will end up eating a lot of chips. Anyone agree that a fat slap chip, drenched in so much vinegar that it stings your eyes, and salted to tongue-curling perfection is a thing of beauty? The same cannot, however, be said of the oven chips dusted with that weird seasoning served at kiddies' restaurants throughout the country. For a food that I actively dislike, I ingest a lot of this stuff - because Leya always orders it and it sits there, undelicious yet strangely irresistible. I end up cramming these things into my mouth with the same unconscious, repetitive movement as a player at the slot machines. Leya's chip obsession has also resulted in Realisation Number Two:

2. When you have a toddler, it's highly likely that your signature scent is tomato sauce. You now how magazines are always urging you to identify whether your fragrance preferences are chipre, woody, green or floral? Never once do they mention the distinctive tang of tomato sauce - for good reason. Everyone has their own views on the stuff, but mine are not favourable - and yet, if smells were soundtracks, this would be the tune my life is set to. Some people's homes are redolent with Jo Malone diffusers in tasteful combinations like bitter chocolate, lime and ginger, but mine smells like a takeaway packet that's been left to marinate in a hot car, thanks to my daughter's habit of wiping sauce-daubed hands and face on every surface.

3. There's really no pleasing them. 'Eggshells' is not the word. The other day, I watched while my sister spent several seconds artfully arranging a pizza on a plate. Bemused by the care she was taking to make the food look as if it hadn't been touch (much like you might spend hours in front of the mirror to create an 'I woke up looking like this' makeup look), I asked what she was doing. Trying to stave off her son's anger at the fact that his sister had taken a slice of pizza, was the answer - scuffed around as it was, he might not notice the missing slice, and his anger may be averted. Her luck had run out, though: when he sat down, it was the number of slices that infuriated him, but the fact that they were wet. Quickly, my sister soothingly pointed out that they weren't, in fact, wet, whereupon he bellowed in rage: THIS PIZZA IS NOT WET.

There's no winning. In which case, one may as well resign oneself to one's fate and get on with it - or wear the white dress and accept that you'll look like a Jackson Pollock later.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't laughed so much in a long time. Sadly and funny enough, it sounds all too familiar. But hang in there, I hear it gets better. I'll let you know if it ever does. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nico! People always say it gets easier but I find quite the opposite!

      Delete
  2. You should write a book Lisa, enough with this blogging sideline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure who wrote that but you have made my day! Thank you!

      Delete